Friday, September 26, 2008

Here's Looking At You...

First of all, let me say a quick thank you to Justin Scott for calling me a 'quasi-journalist' in the comments section two days ago. I've never been a quasi-anything so thank you, kind sir for the respect I've worked oh so hard to achieve.
And now, for the point of this post. I've done my favorite and least favorite college football and basketball uniforms, but it dawned on me recently that we're coming up on four weeks into the NFL season, and I've yet to do a rundown of teams who's unis i love-and hate. I'll start with the five or so unis I can't stand and then do a rundown of my top ten favs (betcha can't guess who I think is number one!) As always, the more classic and unchanged, the better. W/O further ado, the Bottom Five Or So:
Washington Redskins: These unis are so ugly they're almost cool, but not really. Could be worse, however, if not for the ultra-cool helmet logo.


Philly Eagles: They had a waaay better look in the early-90's/Randall Cunningham era, but I can't get into the updated look at all. Is it green? Aqua? Metallic-something?

NE Patriots: Overall, not a horrible look, but the old-school blood red, Patriot Pat uniforms were possibly the coolest things ever, and they had to change it. Shame.



Seattle Seahawks: Another team that should have kept their old unis. I absolutely loved the silver/blue/green combo from the 90's, but these new things look very high school to me. When the helmet, jersey, and pants are the exact same color (if that color isn't white), it's time to reevaluate things.

Houston Texans: As a Cowboy fan, this isn't a shot at the Texans, believe me. It's just that they're the youngest team in the NFL, and they had a chance to come up with some cool, fresh, unique name and uniform combo, and the best they can come up with is 'Texans' with red, white and blue unis. Very very very generic look (See also: Patriots, Bills, Giants, Titans)


Speaking of...The Buffalo Bills: In my opinion, easily the worst look in the league, and the shame of it is, like previously mentioned teams, the throwback look is by far better than their regular unis. If they switched to this look permanently, they'd find themselves on the Best-Dressed list.

Also Receiving Votes: Detroit Lions, Cincy Bengals, Arizona Cards, Minnesota Vikings
And Now...the Top Ten:

Honorable Mention: Indy Colts: I used to hate them, but they're growing on me, so I had to throw it in there.

10) Miami Dolphins: Probably an unpopular pick, as the color scheme is a little weird, what with all the pastel-looking green, but I love that they haven't changed, and can't imagine the hate they must have inspired when they were revealed in the 1960's.
9) Pittsburgh Steelers: From pretty much here on in, just know that I think the rest of the teams are 'extremely classic, greatly unchanged, and unique'




8) Cleveland Browns:

7) Nawlins Saints: Can't go wrong with the gold/black combo. Well done.

6) Kansas City Chiefs:

5) Chicago Bears:


4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The only one on this list that isn't a classic, old-school pick, but a big step forward from the yellow-orange look they previously owned.
3) Green Bay Packers: Classic team, classic stadium, classic look.

2) Oakland Raiders: Say what you want about the team itself, but if I weren't such an unapologetic homer, they'd be number one, and it wouldn't be close. Oh well.

1) Dallas Cowboys: I'm sure you're shocked that I picked the 'Boys number one, but come on. Wearing white at home, the silver helmet with the star...Love, love, love it.

No comments: