Thursday, September 18, 2008

Go Play Intramurals, Brother!

I just wanted to take a second today and salute a person that all of us has seen at one point or another. At least those of us who have visited a local university's intramural field any time in the past 6 years.

The guy is someone I like to call the "I'm not as good as I dress" guy.

You know what I'm talking about-the dude who's playing intramural football in the middle of September, when it's 80+ degrees outside, yet he's dressed like he's about to lace 'em up for the Cowboys (or Packers, if that suites you better) in the 1967 Ice Bowl. This player can easily be spotted by his cutoff T-shirt being accented by a long-sleeved Under Armour skin-tight shirt with multiple sweatbands on each arm (usually one at the elbow, and one around mid-forearm or wrist). The player also finds it fitting to use the cut-off sleeves as a silly-looking headband as well. And of course, to top it all off-RECEIVER'S GLOVES. That's right, receiver's gloves for INTRAMURAL FOOTBALL!

I think those things are unnecessary in real football, much less intramural football. Few things in life cause me to spell in all-caps, and especially all-caps and italics, but this really gets me going for some reason.

In no universe should it be allowed for some average Joe, 5 foot 11 white dude (Or black dude, it doesn't matter. Bad taste on the intramural field knows no color) who runs a 5.4 40 be allowed to even pretend that he's D-1 material, even if he was the third-string tight end his senior year.

At first I thought this phenomenon was limited to Moonies and ACU freshmen who were still holding on to high school dreams, but as I walked back to my car after class yesterday (At Texas Tech University, for those who don't know. And yes, it shocks me still, too) I noticed that a fair number of Red Raiders think that this is an acceptable way to look in public.

It is a shame, and I'm not going to take it anymore. That's why I'm taking my feelings public, to a blog that five people read, but still. Pass the word, and be a good citizen because friends don't let friends dress like @$!*%#'s.

Odds are, more than one of them played real good in high school.

No comments: