Saturday, January 24, 2009

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts


I just got finished watching the second episode of the third season of Friday Night Lights, and so far, this season is shaping up to be the best of the three, and that's saying a LOT. Season one was fantastic, as was the second half of season two (a little bit of a rough start, but it got corrected, so it's cool) but this season could very well top them both.

One of the many things I love about FNL is how realistic it is. Pretty much anyone who grew up in Texas or any small town in America, can relate to the goings-on of the characters in Dillon, Texas. I'm not the first to say this, but there isn't a more authentic TV couple than Eric and Tammy Taylor. While there are many 'main' characters, those two carry the show, and their interactions are the most sincere of any television husband and wife that I can remember.

However, as realistic as the show can be, as with any TV program, it can be a bit far-fetched and unreasonable from time to time.

I wish I started this list from the first episode because I'm sure I'll forget some key moments, but like Mark McGwire would say, I'm not here to talk about the past. So here we go, some of the more unrealistic moments in the two-plus seasons of Friday Night Lights:
  • The VooDoo plot line always bugged me. We're really supposed to believe that after Hurricane Katrina displaced the VooDoo family, they just posted up in a hotel room as coaching staff after coaching staff came to bribe the family so they could receive his football services? And that the UIL was fine with it? (until, of course, he decided to be a Panther) And that, two seconds after leaving Dillon he went to another high school, led them to the state championship and no one batted an eye?

  • All of Dillon's last-second victories. One, maybe two are realistic over the course of a season, but it seemed like the Panther's had 10 heart-stopping finishes. The one that really got me was when Dillon played in Smash's former hometown. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the score was 6-2 with less than ten seconds remaining, and Dillon was pinned inside their own five. This time, instead of some crazy hail-mary, triple lateral finish, Dillon won with...get this...a counter play off left tackle. Seriously. What team, when down by four with ten seconds and ninety-something yards to go, gives it to the running back, basically up the middle? Of course Smash, who had been bottled up until that point, breaks a few tackles and scores as time expires. Un-likely. (Ed's note: the wild finishes and football scenes in general have been dramatically toned down in seasons two and three, so if that's what is keeping you from watching, don't-it gets better.)

  • The thing that Landry does at the beginning of season two. I won't mention it for those who haven't seen it, but there was exactly zero reason to go down that road. Tons of bloggers and websites have torn this storyline to shreds already, but it bears repeating-totally stupid and unnecessary.

  • Santiago. Great character, lots of potential story lines, but...where did he go? What happened to him? Did I miss something? But what really bugged me about the show's treatment of him was this: As a high school linebacker, why didn't his pants have pads, it's not like he's an NFL receiver, and why was his chin-stap upside down? Makes no sense to me, just a bad oversight by the producers/directors.

  • This one is a bit nit-picky, but Coach Taylor wears his state championship ring to bed. Who does that?

  • In what universe is every mom-or female over the age of 30-as attractive as they are in Dillon, TX? I know it's a TV show so they have to sex it up a little, but come on, it's getting ridiculous. I'm half-expecting Carmen Electra to guest star for a few episodes as Coach Taylor's mom.

  • Speaking of good-looking mom's, what's the deal with Tammy's wardrobe? Again, it is a TV show, but what principal can get away with dressing like that? Oh yeah, one who leads a school who elects a student-body president who campaigns with her sister's stripper friends and makes speeches about getting laid at prom. Un-likely.

  • Smash getting his scholly from TMU taken away because of one little dust-up at the movie theater. In the real world, big-time colleges sign guys with multiple arrests and pending court dates. A tussle at the movies would do nothing except raise Smash's profile in real life.

  • Street and Riggins going to Mexico on a whim-with $10,000 cash. A funny episode, yes, but what varsity super-star gets away with going South of the border without telling anyone, drinks away the week, then gets back on the team shortly thereafter?

  • Speaking of Riggins, how old are we supposed to believe he really is? In the first season, he's best friends with Street, who is a senior, and is getting ready to sign with a big university and go on to do great things in football. OK, fine, so Riggs must be a senior too, right? Well, apparently not, as he's back in season two, and goes on the aforementioned Mexico trip. Well, surely he's a senior then, no 16 year old would do that? Again, apparently not, as he shows up for season three, this time being a senior without question, as the show finally makes it known how old he is. This season isn't the one that bothers me, but going back to season one, he's supposed to be a sophomore back then? I'm just not buying it, what with him being best friends with the superstar senior QB, drinking his life away, hooking up with his older neighbor, being the envy of every girl at Dillon High, and generally doing things that many males in this country wait until they're, I don't know, 20 to do. However, props to the show's creators for not making him a senior in season one, because, outside of the Taylor's, he carries the show, has the most gripping story lines, and is the most relate able character. Without Riggins, FNL suffers tremendously, even if he is a sixth-year senior.

That's all I can think of now, I'll update the list as this season progresses, and as I remember past unlikeliness. If you're a fan of the show and can think of things I forgot, feel free to add them in the comments section, and I'll reward you with...recognition that you thought of something I left out. Deal? Great.

Also, LOST. Wow.

4 comments:

Justin said...

Give me your level of enjoyment over the Simmons/Peter Berg podcast:

A 9? A 10? Dare I say it, an 11?

Austin said...

Wow. Outstanding list.

First of all, Justin, I gave that podcast a 10. It had it all. Berg was so honest it almost seemed as though he was lying the whole time. Actually, it probably deserves its own blog post so I won't go into too much detail here.

Lance, I agree wholeheartedly with nearly your entire list. First, obviously the beginning of season 2 was a screw-up (and I was glad Berg admitted as much on the podcast). Next, the last-second wins/losses are totally ridiculous.

Ok, I actually kind of bought the whole "recruitment" of VooDoo thing post-Katrina. Maybe it's just because I heard rumors of that sort of thing going on (probably not as blatantly as on the show though).

Also, totally forgot about Santiago. He was a great character. That reminds me, why has there never been another main character who plays defense?

On Riggins, I guess they never said how old he was in Season 1. In Season 2 I feel like they made it clear pretty quickly that he was a Junior, but I clearly haven't watched the tapes. The way he acts in Season 1 though you'd think he's a Senior, agreed and the Mexico thing...

Brings me to one of my biggest complaints about the show: HOW LONG ARE THE DAYS IN DILLON? You know everyone is going to school. That's 7 hrs right there. Also, a good bit of the season takes place after daylight savings, meaning it's getting dark at about 5:00 or 5:30 at the latest. Add in practice/homework (except for Riggins obviously) and there's no time for really anything else. We see the characters just driving around and hanging out while it's light out. This is crazy. Having played high school athletics I'm sure you know that outside of school/practice/homework/maybe a little free time, you don't have time for much else. And going to Mexico mid-season for several days without any recourse from the school or coach is totally unbelievable.

HOWEVER, all that being said, I love watching the show. It may not be really accurate, but it's certainly entertaining. Having watched Season 3 on DirecTV, I can tell you that it is actually probably the best so far and I'm betting it will be back again next year. By the way, I won't ruin anything for you, but there is another mid-season trip out of nowhere for Riggins this year. Hope you enjoy the season.

lance said...

The Berg podcast was easily my favorite non-jacko BS Report, loved it. Not to mention, with a name like that, Berg would be welcome in my college house any day of the week.

After listening to the podcast, I hit up imdb.com and found out that Berg played the guy who was Tammy's old flame and got in a fight with Coach in the restaurant in Season Two. Something Morris was his name. Thought that was cool.

Austin, totally right about the days in Dillon. I actually thought about that while watching this past episode. Again, it is a TV show, and no one wants to watch a bunch of kids sit in a classroom all day, but it is a bit of a stretch. Like Saracen and Smash working at the Alamo Freeze during the week. When exactly would they do that? They wouldn't get out of practice until 6-6:30, and you know that nothing in Dillon is open after 9 and no one would hire them for two-hour shifts. I agree with the no-defensive player argument. Riggins seems like more of a linebacker to me than a tailback, but what do I know? Maybe Berg will take Simmons' advice and put in a brother duo for next year (if there is one) and at least one of them can be on D.

Also, this past episode, Saracen told Landry that he needed his car and it would be back by morning. Well, Saracen didn't even arrive at his destination until the next day, so how exactly was Landry supposed to get his car back for school, and why wasn't Saracen even concerned about attending school that day?

ALSO, this past episode Coach Taylor had the team do that special practice with Smash on Saturday night. While it was a fantastic chill-bump scene, in what universe does a varsity coach have his team scrimmage-tackling, in full pads-the day after a game, in the middle of the season? Gotta save those legs, Coach.

Regardless of all these nit-picky instances, FNL is a fantastic show that I hope gets at least one more season after this.

Prosso said...

Does anyone have the intro music as an mp3? I can't find it anywhere. The show's soundtrack has always been great. I feel like that's worth mentioning.

How do yall feel about an Austin based FNL sightseeing tour? Panthers Field, the restaurant hangout, the pizza date, etc?