Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Eyes and Hearts Continued

Not surprisingly, Saturday's Friday Night Lights post was a success, generating interested comments and emails. So, in the spirit of FNL, here are continuing thoughts and comments from the show. As always, feel free to continue discussion in the comments section. I need all the diversion I can get from school.

An email from my dad:
Lance:
Great article on the show! Here's my most unrealistic script: The playoff game in the cow pasture!!! You betcha, this happens all the time in Texas High School football - the coaches always agree to it, and the players all go out in their spare time and build it, right?????

Great point, Dad. I considered putting this in the original post, but forgot about it. The Cow Pasture game has to be one of the biggest misses in the series. Yes, every male in America would love the chance to put on pads and play a pick-up game with their buddies in a muddy, rain-soaked field, but come on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this game was the state semifinals (maybe quarterfinals). We're supposed to believe that two teams played in a pasture that was turned into a 'football stadium' the week before the game? Not only that, but the stadium was put together by the players that competed in the game, when they should have been studying film and prepping for the state semis. In the real world, where most of us live, the Texas state semi-finals-and many other rounds for that matter-are played in little arenas you may have heard of before-Texas Stadium, Mammoth Reliant Stadium, DKR, Kyle Field, Floyd Casey, the Alamodome-not Farmer Joe's Cow Pasture outside Dillon, Texas. I am currently in a class that deals with sport facilities and what it takes to run a safe, effective, and legal, sporting event. I am by no means an expert in the area, but something tells me that a football stadium put up in less than a week by 16-18 year olds in a cow pasture may not pass pesky little things like 'codes,' 'laws,' and 'guidelines.' Call me crazy, I don't know.

After the last post, Joey left a comment about the soundtrack to FNL. The intro song is definitely a great one, so much so that I actually watch the opening credits, instead of fast-forwarding like I do every other show I DVR. I've always assumed that Explosions in the Sky did the intro song, as the did most (all?) of the soundtrack to the FNL movie. However, I read somewhere that the intro song to the TV show is not done by Explosions, even though it sounds very similar to them. I don't remember the name of the band that does the intro song, so I have no idea where to find it to download, but if anyone knows, Joseph and myself would appreciate it. While we're on the topic, the music is another fantastic thing about the show. It is always great, and plays an important part in the telling of the story. If anyone cares, I also think Lost and Scrubs do a great job of using music-however subtly-to enhance the story telling of their respective shows.

That'll be it for now, I'll post some thoughts this weekend about the next episode, as well as a few college basketball thoughts. In the meantime, go on over to Cafe Express and check out their line of Dillon Football gear. I'm still hoping to find the gray T-shirt Saracen had on from this past episode, that thing was cool. Until next time.....

6 comments:

Prosso said...

An old white guy named Snuffy wrote the theme. He also wrote the West Wing theme and the My So Called Life theme. His list of credits is http://www.wgsnuffywalden.com/musicframe.html there.

Weird, huh?

Justin said...

Since Jordan Gay can't actually read the English language, and thus, cannot read this post, I feel obligated to write the following on his behalf:

One of the songs from the FNL movie soundtrack, "Sonho Dourado" by Daniel Lanois, was used to great affect in the Turner-Gay wedding. You know how much I love EITS, but that Lanois song is far and away the best song on the soundtrack.

Justin said...

Even better, here's "Sonho Dourado" set to clips from LOST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-9e8QAMjw

Unknown said...

Ahh, Snuffy. Forgot about him, thanks Joey.

Scott, great call on Sonho Dourado. It can now be found on my iPod.

PS, Scott- Do you watch FNL? Great day if you do, i just had no idea.

Unknown said...

ooops, that was me, Lance/Twig that just posted. The lappy was still signed in to Kayla's name. Still is, actually

Justin said...

Lancer,

I realized it wasn't Kayla when the poster referred to me as "Scott". Ladies, in general, don't usually refer to people solely by surnames.

I don't watch FNL right now. One day, when I get through with this whole "school" thing, I'm planning on buying the past seasons on DVD and plowing through them like Jessica Simpson through a buffet.