Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'll Take This One

Yup, you were right B, I've got this one...
In the comments section the other day, Justin Scott brought up the possibility of Adam "Pacman" Jones signing with the Cowboys. Personally, I love love love love it. The Boys need secondary help, and he would be an immediate asset in the defensive secondary. Also, I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed like the Cowboys had about seven different punt returners last year, so he would solidify and upgrade that area as well. As far as the whole character thing goes, ummm, does anyone really care? Honestly, why would the 'Boys (read: "Jones, Jerry") start worrying about character now? They had a couple years there in the late 90's, when the team was in a rebuilding mode, and they stayed away from possible bad apples, even going as far as not drafting Randy Moss in 1998, fearing that he would get in trouble and hurt the team's image even more. Fast-forward 10 years, and the 'Boys currently employ Terry Glenn, Terrell Owens, Tank Johnson, and probably a few more crazies I'm missing. Basically, Jerry's banking everything on performance and not worrying too much about how the guys act. A major factor for this thinking is probably related to the tough stance Roger Goodell has taken with player misconduct. Pacman, Tank, and the rest know that if they're involved in another off-field incident, they could be out of the league for a very long time, if not for good. Because of this, any team can take a chance on these guys, sign them for a cheap, short-term contract, with most of the money coming in performance and behavior bonuses. If they get in trouble after all of that, the team lets them go and doesn't take a huge hit salary cap wise. All this to say, go for it Jerry. Take a shot, sign him to a small contract, and let his butt go if/when he slips up in the least.

Some quick thoughts on the Rockets/Kings game from Monday night:
-Say what you want about the team, but the Rockets have a great fan base. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a ton of NBA arena experience, but the "Red-Rowdies" are always loud, obnoxious and supportive of the team, something that a lot of NBA teams can't say.

-Even in a fairly boring game, sitting next to the lady-wife is very entertaining. I mean, who else would say, in a professional sporting event:
"Forget Reggie (Bush), Shane (Battier) is my new favorite (most attractive) pro athlete."
(And yes, I did come close to vomitting/cursing/gouging my eyes/causing a general rukus when that statement was made. I mean, I'm fine with Kayla thinking a famous celebrity/athlete is attractive, I'm not haughty enough to think I'm better-looking than some of these dudes, but really? A USC alum was bad enough, but now it's a Dookie? At this rate, Kayla's next celeb crush is gonna be some random Yell Leader, or Adrian Peterson. Uggghhh.)

"Why is Clutch (the Rockets mascot) green tonight?" Actually, Kayla, that was a very astute question. Why was Clutch green?

Speaking of the Rocket Power Dancers, aka 'Girls who are just a tad too classy to be strippers, but not classy enough not to dance in front of 30,000 people in underwear and tube tops':"If I had free unlimited tanning, hair extensions, and plastic surgery, I'd look like that too. Fake hoes."

"That guy looks like a jerk. I don't like him, he has evil eyes. Mean face, mean face, mean face."
Refering to Kelvin Martin, the best scoring option for Sacramento, who in my opinion, had a very pleasent face and is probably a delight to be around.

-Besides being entertained by Kayla's comments, the main thing that stood out to me was how big Ron Artest was. Obviously, all the NBA players are pretty large dudes, but Artest is an absolute beast. The entire game, I kept thinking about how nuts it would have been to be in the Palace at Auburn Hills the night of November 19, 2004 when he went into the stands with bad intentions. Even more so, the guys in the stands who stood up to him had to have been completely crrrazzzzy. I can't imagine thinking it was a good idea to throw beer and peanuts at
Artest, and taunt him to the point of having him rush into the stands with the intent of beating me to a pulp. For those of you who may have forgot, I'll end with this YouTube video of that fateful night in Michigan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MY9cYZD0ME

-Twig

2 comments:

Justin said...

Lancer,

When is the name of this blog changing to "Well, It's Just Twig"? Come on, who are we kidding? Jig's dead, right? Right?

Anyway, the symmetry of this post was impossible to ignore: Beginning with Pacman and ending with the Malice at the Palace.

I understand what you're saying about the fact that the 'Boys do not have a sterling collective character record, but all of the guys who have come to Dallas with questionable pasts (T.O. and Tank among others) have done well with America's system.

I was reading about Pacman's appearance on Irvin's radio show and was disappointed to hear that he's still throwing blame on the media and police for all of the incidents in his past, but hopefully at some point, he'll realize that his talent will not save him if he gets involved in another large scale disciplinary violation.

It's unquestioned that the 'Boys need help at cornerback, but frankly, I would like to see them find someone in the first round of the draft rather than drafting a potential locker-room cancer in Pacman.

lance said...

Well said Justin. My main point for Pacman is that, if character wasn't important in the past (TO, Glenn, Tank, etc) why start now? Also, the 'Boys haven't had any problems with the aforementioned (sp?) players so far-knock on wood- and I believe that Jerry is starting to think that he can bring these guys in, knowing that they're on their last leg with the League, and sign them to a contract that is very low-risk/high-reward. As far as Pacman blaming the media/police, I mean, it's not like anyone thinks he's a particularly good guy, so that's not a shock to me. As long as he stays straight in Dallas, I'm alright with him playing for the Boys. And yes, I feel bad for saying that, but that's the point we've reached in American sports-As long as you don't mess up MY TEAM, I'm fine with you playing for them-strip club shootings and multiple arrests be darned.