Friday, March 28, 2008

Mammoth Fan Watching

Tonight was quite an historic night, as I completed the Mammoth Reliant Stadium quad-fecta. You might be wondering what the Mammoth Reliant Stadium quad-fecta is, and well, dear reader, I'll tell you. The MRSQF, as it will from here on be known as, is the feat I comleted this very evening. This feat is something that I seriously doubt anyone in the history of Creation has ever atempted, much less accomplished. The MRSQF is the fact that I've been to Mammoth Reliant 4 times, each time for different sporting events. This past December, former roomate Garrett Oakley and I went to the Texans/Broncos game, giving me my first taste of Mammoth Reliant. In February, the Jig and I went to the USA/Mexico soccer 'friendly' at the Mammoth, which was quite possibly the most intense three hours of my life. Just two weeks ago, the in-laws-and I went to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, which was quite enjoyable, especially with our frontish row seats. I mean really, we almost got bull slobber on us during the bullriding contest. And finally, tonight, the wife and I made the three-minute train ride to Mammoth Reliant in hopes of scalping tickets for the South Regional Semifinals of the NCAA Tournament which, as you know, pitted the Texas Longhorns and the Stanford Cardinal in the first game, and the Memphis Tigers and Michigan State Spartans in the nightcap. I had almost our entire grocery money for the month in my pocket, and to our luck, the first people we ran into had two extra tickets for the evening. Also to my good fortune, the tickets were in a decent location, and the couple was offering them for face value, which is always nice when scalping tickets (side note: at work today, I looked at buying tickets online, and tickets in the exact spot we ended up getting were $30 more than we got ours) So, feeling good about saving a little green, we went to our seats. They were in the corner of the court, on the front row of the second deck.
As you all know by now, the game went almost as well as any UT fan could have hoped for, with the Horns leading basically the whole game, and playing well on both ends of the court. After the first game, we stuck around to watch Memphis and Michigan State, to see what UT's Sunday opponent looks like. Well, as you also probably know by now, Memphis looks goooood. We ended up leaving at halfime with the Tigers leading by 30. The end of the first half looked a lot like a slam-dunk contest for the Tigers, and if Texas isn't able to keep them off the boards and running without abandon, Sunday could be ugly. However, if Texas can get physical with Memphis and control the tempo, I feel alright about their odds.
Also, as we were leaving the apartment earlier this evening, I was so excited to complete the MRSQF that I forgot to bring the camera to provide visual proof that we were there. Near the end of the Texas game, I built up enough courage to ask the lady next to us (A Memphis fan, the wife of the dude that sold us our tickets. His parents were going to go but couldn't make it, much to our benifit) if she would take a pic of Kayla and I and email it to us when they get home. It was a bit of an odd request, but she was happy-I think-to do it, and so hopefully in a few days I'll be able to post the picture here to show that this is in fact a true story, and not a bunch of gibberish. Well faithful readers, that'll be it for me tonight, I'm pooped from completing the five month, mentally and physically grueling MRSQF, and need some sleep. Over and out.

-Twig

2 comments:

Justin said...

This, my friends, is why this man is a legend. The MRSQF has been spoken of in hushed, reverent tones, but no one ever thought about actually completing it, let alone in one calendar year.

I, along with a grateful nation, salute you, good sir.

Prosso said...

Talk about why Rick Barnes sucks.