Thursday, November 20, 2008

This Is My Final Decision, Maybe

Ever since it was discussed in Monday's comments section, I've been thinking about who to cheer for in Saturdays Tech/Oklahoma match up. While I'm not crazy about my choice, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Even though Texas' only shot at the Big XII game comes from winning the three-way tiebreaker* (unless Tech falls to 0u AND Baylor, but really) I've gotta go for Tech as the lesser of two evils and hope they rep the State well in KC and Miami. What really gets me hoping that Tech pulls it out this weekend is the fact that I really can't stand to see Oklahoma win the conference again, after losing to UT.

There is a very real possibility that Texas will finish the regular season 11-1, beat Oklahoma, be co-champs of the South, AND WATCH OKLAHOMA PLAY FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Seriously. Let that last sentence sink in for a second. In December of 2004, if you told me that within the next four years Texas will win 11 regular season games, be ranked number one for three weeks, beat Oklahoma in a game where the Sooners had better 'on-paper' talent, but 0u would be the ones playing for the national championship, I couldn't have found a high enough cliff to jump off of.

Fortunately for me, 2005 happened and my suicide watch meter went from 'potentially realistic' to 'Whatever, man UT's the Champs!' However, the past two years frustrations, followed up with this seasons awesomeness have officially put me back on edge as far as competing for conference and national championships go.

To beat Oklahoma and still not even get a shot at the conference championship is a brutal, empty feeling for Longhorn fans. Remember, it was just 2006 that UT won the RRR and had a one game lead over 0u (two games really, considering the tie-breaker) and the Horns squandered their conference championship hopes with the Colt Got Injured Game (KSU) followed up by a no-show against aTm.

If, by some act of BCS computer grace, UT could win the tie-breaker with Oklahoma, then so be it, but since that's looking like an unlikely scenario, Wreck 'Em Tech, and we'll see where we go from there.

*This is, of course, assuming that UT beats the deuce out of the ags next week. If they crap the bed like they did the past few years, however, all bets are off and Tech or 0u would deserve it more anyway. And yes, I know what happens when I a-s-s-u-m-e.

No comments: