Friday, April 17, 2009

Dog Days Of Spring

Well, The Wife (see the how I capitalized that? Take notes, boys) is out of town for the weekend, which gives me plenty of time to sit in front of the TV and blog about baseball and the NBA playoffs. Lucky you.

HDTV is a great thing. It enhances the experience of watching almost any program, but especially sports. Of course there are a few exceptions to this phenomenon. In any case, the Rangers' new red jerseys look pheeee-nomenal (copyright Jim Rome) in high-def.

Did I mention I love the Rangers bringing back the red? I do, I really do. The best part of it is that they didn't go completely back to the 1990's look. They still have the blue lettering and numbers with red trim on the white jerseys, along with the blue helmets on the road (and occasionally at home). If you have no other reason for tuning in to a Ranger game this season, it's worth it to see what combo they'll be wearing on any particular night.

Bad times in H-Town so far. Not like my Rangers are killing it either, (they're 4-5 and losing 4-0 as I type) but the LAstros (thank you, Garrett) are pretty sad. May want to reevaluate those season tickets, JScott.

Maybe it's from listening to JackO on the BSReport, maybe it's all the hubbub on ESPN about the new stadium, but the Yankees are slowly becoming not completely intolerable. Congrats, guys.

I haven't been too geeked about the NBA this season, but I am more than ready for the playoffs. I'm afraid the Spurs will have a short stay of it, but the Portland/Houston, Denver/Nawlins, Atlanta/Miami should be fantastic first-round matchups before the inevitable LA/Cleveland epic in the Finals.

And what an epic it will be. I've never been a Kobe fan, but I'd like to see him win one without Shaq. Everyone gives Shaq a pass when it comes to criticising him, because he's the 'big, goofy, fun-lovin, Twittering, lovable' Shaq, but he's proven himself to be an extremely self-centered teammate who won't take criticism from anyone, and who's probably wasted a big part of his talent-as crazy as that is-being too concerned with his image. All that to say, while Kobe probably isn't the best guy in the world, he's recognized as one of the hardest-working guys in the league who takes a TON of crap from media and fans, all without saying anything to fuel the fire.
On the other hand, I'd like to see Bron Bron win one in Cleveland in hopes that it may convince him to stick around after next season. Regardless of who you root for, an LA/Cleveland Finals should be one for the ages, and one that all basketball fans will love to watch.

4 comments:

Justin said...

I was watching the Rangers game tonight on a standard definition TV, but I hope the crappiness of our pitching staff had that extra "pop" in HD.

Prosso said...

This is the same Lakers that just gave up last year in the Finals, right? The one with Sasha and Pao and Odom? I'm not buying.

And even if I was buying, which I'm not, zero chance I will ever admit it out loud.

I'm gonna go read The Last Season and remind myself what an epic diva Kobe is.

Prosso said...

I like Farmar a lot, though.

lance said...

Justin,
The extra pop was there, and it was awesome. Sliders didn't slide, curveballs hung, and fastballs topped out in the mid-80's. Great stuff, Rangers pitching staff. Enhanced by HD.

Although I must say, the Hammer's HR in the 8th was an absolute SHOT. Even if it was 12-0 at that point.