Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Don't Like This McCoy/Aikman Partnership

Quite simply, the best bridesmaids/groomsmen outfits ever.

After a weekend of building a horseshoes dynasty with the Father in Law, it's back to the grind. I watched the season finale of Friday Night Lights last night, and-as always-I was thrilled with the episode and the direction the series will take the next two years.


I've read on various blogs and websites that, while this season was great, it didn't compare to the first season. I have to disagree. While the first season was no doubt a great one, the third season was an absolute tour-de-force. (I don't know what that means exactly, but it sounds cool) They cut a lot of the unrealistic football scenes, added some key characters, set up some interesting scenarios for the future, and absolutely brought it with emotional scenes in almost every episode. It's been documented here before, but only one episode this season failed to bring my wife to tears. Not bad for a teen-centric football show.

Some things to look forward to:
Will JD somehow follow Coach Taylor to EDHS?
How long will Riggins stay at San Antonio State before returning to Dillon to work with his brother?
Will someone finally take a crowbar to Joe McCoy's kneecaps?
Is Tammy going to stay on as principal at Dillon High after they forced her husband out?
Will the East Dillon Lions play more than 7 regular season games and 3 playoff game, unlike the 2008 Dillon Panthers?
If Saracen stays in Dillon, what's he gonna do? I can't imagine an interesting storyline if he just takes care of his grandmother, but I guess we'll see.
I enjoy all the Texas-centric names on the show...Wade Aikman, Matt Saracen (Saracen was the name of Sam Houston's horse) JD McCoy, et all, but I wonder what the next one will be. My bet is a hot shot freshman linebacker 'recruit' named Ricky 'White Shoes' Henderson. Maybe it's a stretch, but I like it.
How many episodes into next season will Julie wreck her new Chevy and blame her mom?
All these queries and more have me absolutely amped for next season. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts. Go Lions.

4 comments:

Austin said...

Sure you already heard this but the show has been renewed for 2 more seasons with the same DirecTV/NBC set-up they had this year: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2009/03/30/daily21.html

lance said...

Yep, I heard it and I love it.

The only thing that worries me is that two years may be one too many. I'm holding out hope that it will retain its greatness, and I'll watch until there's nothing left to watch, but I can't help but think that it may get a little watered-down and not hold up for that much longer.

Prosso said...

Man, I totally agree about the glory of Season 3. Easily the strongest season to me. Season one is amazing, but with season three, we've gotten to see everybody grow and the town change a little bit.

Saracen is going to stay in Dillon and he's going to be Taylor's assistant coach at East Dillon. Eric is kind of his mentor anyway and that keeps Julie/Saracen interesting.

I think Buddy might even jump ship to East Dillon. They made it a point that he wasn't happy with what McCoy/Aikman were doing (I love the use of real TX football names, it's like jock LOST). He was also out of the loop. As much as he cares about the Panthers, I think that since he's such a social outcast now it'll be enough to move him.

Mrs Taylor is going to stay at Dillon bc they need the money and also as a big middle finger to the town. She's not torn between football and education anymore.

I won't miss Lyla AT ALL. Have fun at Vandy, brat. I will always, always miss Tyra. Always.

Also, Landry was good in Observe and Report. Landry trivia: He played young Matt Damon in the movie All the Pretty Horses.

lance said...

Good Stuff Joey,

I agree about Lyla. Me and Kayla have been over her since about the second episode in season one. One word-overrated.

I sorta hope you're wrong about Saracen. They've done the 'ex-QB-turned-assistant' line with Street, not to mention that it's impossible to be a Texas (or probably any state for that matter) high school coach w/o at least a bachelor's degree. I don't mind if they keep him around, I just hope they do it with an original storyline.

I also agree with you about Buddy. I wasn't a big fan of him earlier in the series, but I've come around in the last half of this season.

Hopefully, Tammy will stay at DHS so that she can flip the proverbial bird to the rest of the school for doing Coach so wrong.