Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Had To Turn My Heart Away

Current Reading: In keeping with my newfound attraction to books about basketball in the 1970's, David Halberstam's The Breaks of The Game. It has a quote from Bill Simmons on the cover. I guess he's considered a legitimate sports writer now. Congrats, Bill.

I'm just gonna let this email from my dad be today's post:

'I was catching up on your blog. Did you have to post the clip of the tt/Texas game?? It's like driving by a wreck on the highway - can't help but watch. Yeah, my stomach hurt, too, and yeah, I knew Gideon would catch it this time! Gives me an idea for your blog, if you haven't done it already: Have your readers list their top 3/5 sports heartbreakers. I've got a bunch off the top of my head: Ice Bowl (Starr's QB sneak), the Colt's O'Brien's last second winning field goal v. Dallas, The Catch (49er v. Dallas), The Other Catch and non-catch (Swann and Jackie Smith, Steelers v. Dallas), Fumbled punt by freshman (Ga. v. UT, and there goes the National Championship), I'm not listing the other blown N.C., Notre Dame v. UT & Earl, because they beat the snot out of us), P. Harvesters v. Palo Duro Dons, 1974, 45 yard counter option pass from Stanley Stambaugh to Larry Lipscomb into a 40 mph wind in 40 degree weather at Dick Bivins Stadium in Amarillo to win 12-9, PHS goes 8-2, and 4-1 in district, and stays home (only good thing about all of this, Lipscomb wasn't my responsibility - he was on the opposite side - I can still remember just drifting down the field watching that ball keep flying through the air FOREVER, and falling in to LL's hands as he galloped down the side line... and, finally, P. Harvesters v. Caprock Longhorns (yes, Longhorns!), 1975, blocked punt returned for TD late in Q3 by Caprock to spur them to a 34-22 win in D. Bivins Stadium (D.B. sucks!!!) in game #1 of district. We win out the next four by allowing a total of 12 points, including 3 shutouts in a row, end up 8-2, and 4-1 in district, and stay home (sound familiar)? This was worse than walking 2 miles in the snow barefooted to school uphill both ways!!!'
A few notes:
You know its Texas high school football in the 1970's with names likes Stanley Stambaugh and Larry Lipscomb.

As good as it's been to be a Texas Longhorn and Dallas Cowboy fan for the most part, the mentions of The Catch, Ice Bowl, and the Punt Drop Game are harsh reminders of how sports can break your heart. (The Punt Drop Game-The game that spawned this joke in Georgia: Q: "What time is it in Texas?" A: "Ten to nine." I wasn't even alive for that game, and it hurts.)

Let me be the first to say, I don't like the direction that Texas high school athletics is going, allowing four teams from each district into the playoffs. It was three back in my day, and that was pushing it. It seems like they're promoting the 'every kid is a winner' ideology, and awarding mediocrity with a playoff spot, even though fourth place teams inevitably get housed by a first place team in the first game. Dang liberals. Anyway, as bad as that rule is, how bad was it in the 70's when they only allowed one team in? Case in point, the 1974 and 1975 Pampa Harvesters. They go 4-1 in district each year, and apparently had a hellacious defense, led by none other than Safety Johnny Agan, but miss the playoffs because they weren't the first place finisher. That stings.

Anyway, as my dad said, what are some of your biggest heartbreaks as a fan or player? My top few are:

The 2001 Big XII championship game. (Chris Simms stinks up the joint in the first half, Major comes in to almost save the day, UT misses a shot at Miami in the National Championship)

2002 UT Vs Tech: I went to this game my freshman year at ACU. Texas-again-would have probably played for the NC game, but they fell by four to Tech. Uggghhh.

2001 Bi-District playoff, Belton Vs Navasota: This one hurts personally, because I pretty much cost us the game. A Jared Houston 3 pointer at the buzzer sent it into overtime, where we lost. I played well throughout the game, with the exception of free throws. I was 1 for 6 in regulation, 1 for 2 in OT. If I make just one more in regulation, that last three pointer wins the game, and we advance. For the record, I was a 71% free-throw shooter that season.

1995 District Baseball Tournament, Belton Indians: After winning our first 35 games of the season, and looking like a legitimate threat to be the next MLB exhibition team, we lose two in a row to teams we had beat in previous tournaments. The state tourney was held in Belton that year, so it especially hurt when we got eliminated.

A few others of note: The Derek Fisher game, Leon Lett on Thanksgiving, UT basketball falling to LSU in Overtime in 2006 with a shot at the Final Four on the line, Dallas getting beat (soundly) in San Fran in Barry's first year.

4 comments:

Bleach Brown said...

good blog lawya. We agree with your dad about the UT/TT game.

Justin said...

--Leon Lett on Thanksgiving. Just...leave...the...ball...there...Leon.

--Even though I'm not a member of Red Sox nation, the Aaron Boone homer in Game 7 of the '03 ALCS was pretty hard to take. That's probably a large consequence of my hate for the Yanks.

--Even though this blog doesn't recognize soccer as an actual sport, that Liverpool-Chelsea game (complete with a last-minute own goal) last year in the Champions League semis was a tad bit frustrating. You even sent me an email wondering how I was holding up, and that was after a tie. A TIE!!!

Ellen said...

Sweetheart,
That loss was NOT your fault.
Love, Mom

lance said...

It was. It was.