Thursday, February 7, 2008

Delightfully Delightful

Last night was awesome. The Jig came to H-town with his brother Luke and a friend of his in tow, and we went to Mammoth Reliant Stadium (I'm pushing for the "Mammoth" part to be officially added to the title. If any of the presidential candidates adds this to their agenda they get my vote, no questions asked) to watch the USA/Mexico soccer friendly.
I'm gonna keep this short, since my soccer knowledge is about as little as your average Mexican futbol fan, (ba-dum-cha!) and I don't want to make myself look completely incompetent. Besides, as I type, Jig is truckin back to Belton, and he'll be able to give a much more thourough evaluation of the night. However, I will say this: going to a live soccer game is something that every sports fan should do at least once. I'm not talking about little league soccer, everyone does that. I'm talking about seeing the national team play in person. The ball skills these guys possess is unbelievable, and if you don't think I'm saying that just so I have an excuse to type 'ball skills,' you're crazy. But seriously, the level of play is unparalelled, and even in a sport where scoring is minimal, you don't want to miss a second of the action for fear that you may miss something truly spectacular. Also, going to a national team game is awesome because of the atmosphere. It's one thing to root for your favorite team, such as the Cowboys, Rangers, etc., but it's something entirely different when your running around with the flag of your country wraped around your neck like a cape, screaming "U-S-A! U-S-A!" whenever the boys do something great. And that may be the best part of attending a national team soccer game. When we scored, we went crraazzzzy. I'm talking Britney Spears off the deep-end crazy. When you're outnumbered by about 50,000 in the stands, you have to go ape-wild when your guys score. And it's a must to crank the heckling up a notch when the opponent rolls around on the ground like he's passing a kidney stone, even though he got slapped on the wrist, just to try and draw a foul on the Americans. Maybe I got carried away, but late in the game, when things got a bit chippy and a Mexican player shoved one of our guys I shouted, in close proximity of the Mexican fans, "Give him a green card!" Inappropriate? Wildly. But in a border rivalry in soccer, anything goes. And really, that was one of the milder things said about the Mexican team. (For the record the 'really really' bad things came from people around us, not our little part) All in all, it was a fantastic experience, and I have a newfound respect for the beautiful game.

- Twig "I'm not naming my first born son Troy anymore, it's gonna be Jozy" Agan

3 comments:

Justin said...

Although Jozy is going to be a star, do you think Kayla would also go with Oguchi Onyewu Agan?

Think about it, my man.

lance said...

I'm thinking Oguchi will be the middle name. We may have to drop Onyewu. That would just be too weird.

Unknown said...

I'm glad to see you write about soccer with such excitement and passion! :)