Monday, February 4, 2008

So Close, But Yet Soooo Far Away

The Lord reigns, He is a Mighty God, the Looooord God Reigns! Great is the Lord Almighty He is Lord He is God indeed (clap, clap) Great is the Lord Almighty He is God Suprrreeeeeiiieeeeme! Great is the Lord Almighty He is Lord He is God indeed! Great is the Loooooorrrd! Great is the Looorrrrd!
Hopefully I'm not being sacreligious, but this song came to my head shortly after the fantastic finish in last night's Super Duper Bowl. I don't think God really cares about football, about who wins and loses, but I was extremely happy to see the big bad bully of the NFL, the New England Patriots, get punched in the mouth by the underdog Giants, and have their dream season ruined at the worst possible time. For the record, I still do feel a bit dirty for rooting for the New York Football Giants, but under these circumstances, it was a choice I felt I had to make. Watching the Patriots all year with their pretty boy quarterback, smug head coach, and overly-arrogant defense, was more than I could handle, so I was ultra-tickled to see them get brought down to earth just a little bit last night.
In the future, if I'm rooting for an underdog in a championship game, I can only hope that the powers that be at ESPN decide to do a "Greatest Team Ever?" debate weeks before the game is even played. You may remember ESPN touting the 2005 USC Trojans as the "best ever" but I think we all remember how that turned out for them. Likewise, the Worldwide Leader did a virtual matchup of the 2007 Patriots, pitting them against some of the great teams from the past, such as the 1993 Cowboys, 1984 49ers, and the 1985 Bears. For whatever reason, the media-namely ESPN-feels the need to debate these fabricated matchups, but it seems to me like the only thing it does is motivate the other team to come out and prove that they belong, which the Giants obviously did last night.
The only thing that I've heard people actually debate about last night's game, was the behavior of the Pats coach, Bill Belicheat...err Belichek (sp?) who left the field with one second still remaining. My two cents-yeah it was classless and unneccessary, but didn't we already know that about him? I mean, really, has anyone ever said, "Boy that Belichek sure is a nice one, I hope my daughter grows up and marries a guy like him someday?" Umm, no, so I don't feel like we should get too overheated about that incident. In my opinion, if that's the only thing we feel the need to argue about, in what was an otherwise fantastic game, I think things are gonna be alright. It would be a lot worse if there were some obviously bad call by an official that cost either team the game, or any other controversy on the field that affected the outcome.
So in summary, fantastic game, couldn't be happier about the outcome, can't wait to hear my students spout off their excuses about why the Patriots lost, and definitely can't wait for next year. Hurry up, September!!

-Twig

2 comments:

Justin said...

I need to know one thing: What was the collective reaction in your neck of the woods to the Manning/Tyree magic trick/shocking play that will receive a legendary nickname in the near future?

lance said...

"Aww F, they sacked...wait, he got loose?! Oh no, that duck is definitely getting picked...Holy crap, did he just catch that? He caught it!?!"
(Replay showing on the TV)
"He caught that with his helmet!! That was amazing!"

Then i remembered how the Cowboys lost to the Gmen because Crayton can't catch with two hands, and the Giants have guys who catch with one helmet and four fingertips. I got less happy then.