Thursday, January 31, 2008

@#%*$!*%#

Today is not a happy day. Rent is due by tomorrow, as well as a ridiculous bill from the dentist who apparently think it's funny to overcharge a young married couple even though they have dental insurance (thank you, loopholes in the system that no one told me about!!). These two happenings wouldn't be that bad except for one thing-I can't find my checkbook. Also, Houston's under a severe thunderstorm/tornado watch today, and my umbrella is...wait, I don't have one.
Combined, these things wouldn't be allllll that bad, but to top things off, my Longhorns forgot to show up in College Station (but who could blame them?) and they subsequentaly got their butts handed to them in an embarrassing 80-63 loss on natty tv. And for anyone who saw the game...I mean good greif, is their a more annoying group of fans than the Aggies? Talk about insufferable, those folks kill me. This years version of the Runnin Horns has been about as consistent and heart-attack enducing as the 2007 football team. Tons of potential, a few wins that make you go "Wow," but not in the least bit consistent. They started the year with an impressive victory over Tennessee in a preaseason tournament, and followed that up with a last second-victory on the road against UCLA. (By the way, each of those teams have been kicking tail ever since, and will probably be a top two seed in the NCAA's.) UT, meanwhile has been up and down, going 5-4 since their 11-0 start. I understand that they are young and only go about six deep, but after the impressive start, the last month or so has been a bit disheartning. On the bright side, they may have found a little more depth last night, as Dexter Pittman played by far his best game as a Longhorn; unfortunately, Damion James, DJ Augustin, and AJ Abrams played one of their worst. All in all, I guess you've just gotta chalk this one up to a bad game against a good team with a-literally- crazy fan base. The season is not over, the sky is not falling (although it currently looks like it outside down here) the Horns still have a good team with a shot to advance in the Tourney, so last night wasn't a complete waste.
This column may sound life a self-therapy session, and maybe it is a little bit. I haven't brought this up yet, but here at Sartartia, approximately 98% of the teachers here are atm alumns. That's right, the students here are Patriot fans and the teachers are Aggs. Not good times. Bad times. So, even though I'd like nothing more than to forget last night, I'm probably going to hear about it all day. You know how Aggie fans are insufferable on TV? It's ten times worse in person. Seriously, shoot me now. If not, maybe I can just step outside and get blown away by the Armageddon that is currently in the Houston sky.

Gag me Gladdys,
Twig

4 comments:

Justin said...

Cheer up, my friend. At least the Cowboys made the Super...oh wait, they lost in the Divisional Round.

If you need me,I'll be over here in the corner crying myself to sleep.

Jig said...

i know dude, its a tough day. he's a question to take your mind off of it... woulda trade MB3 and both 1st rounders to Minnesota for A.D.? the question was posed to me, and i dont have an answer... please help my friend...

lance said...

Balls no. It's not so much the giving up Barber for AD or DMC that gets me. If it was that, I'd say sure,why not. The problem I have with either of the proposed trades is the giving up of the two first rounders. Those could potentially be cornerstones of the franchise for the next decade or so, and we'd be giving them up for a position that we DON'T HAVE A NEED AT!! (Of couse on the other hand, Barber could get hurt or not play well and the picks could turn out to be busts, but still)
I could understand it if maybe we needed a qb and could land a franchise qb or something, but trading for a running back makes no sense when we already have a good one.
If Dallas is so set on getting another running back, that's fine, there will definitely be a quality rb in the second or third round that they could get, and still hang on to their first two picks AND Barber.
I guess my main gripe is that there are multiple positions Dallas needs help at, yet all we're hearing is how they may trade a Pro-Bowl running back for basically an equal player and two first rounders. Just doen't make sense to me.

Jig said...

good answer, thanks for clearing that up