Thursday, January 3, 2008

So Long J.C. We Hardly Knew Ye...

Well, I did my best. At the end of my last post, I said I wouldn't talk about the Longhorns for another 8 months. I didn't even make it a week. Oh well. Today, my Horns-related thoughts center around the news that Jamaal Charles has decided to leave the 40 acres to pursue a career in the NFL. I've never had a problem with players in any sport leave college early IF they're draft stock has reached it's peak. That said, I'm not sure I'm entirely crazy about Charles' decision to bolt for the pros.
On the one hand, he had a great second half of the season, highlighted by a 290 yard game against Nebraska, and ending with a 161 yard, two touchdown game on national television in the Holiday Bowl last week. He is easily one of the fastest guys on the field, and will continue to be a killer with his speed in the pros. He won the Big XII 100 meter dash as a freshman a few years ago, running a 10.2. I don't care what conference you play in, or at what level you compete at, if you can cover 100 meters in 10.2 seconds, you're a burner.
On the other hand, Jamaal has had problems with fumblitis, highlighted in losses to Kansas State in 2006 and Oklahoma this year. Granted, it improved as this season progressed, but that is a problem that could scare NFL teams from taking him. Also, he's not a 20-25 carry a game back, and will probably be best utilized in the pros by a team that already has a feature back, and use J.C. as a change-of-pace back.
All this to say, it seems like returning next year would greatly serve him in the 2009 draft. He could prove that the fumbling is behind him, that he can be an effective runner between the tackles, and can show that he can carry more of a load in the offense. It also is just a bit disappointing to see him leave so soon. Not to get too mushy or nostalgic, but it seems like just yesterday that he was a true freshman next to Vince Young, jitterbugging around the defense and putting images of multiple championships and Heisman Trophies in the minds of Longhorn fans everywhere. In only the second college game of his career, he ran all over the Ohio State defense, and put his name on the map for good. That same year, he set a Red River Rivalry record with an 80-yard touchdown run. I can't speak for everyone, but I just have this 'glass-half-empty' feel about the time Charles spent in Austin. I really feel like he would have a shot at the Heisman next year, and would make the UT offense quite scary if he returned. It's his decision, however, and all things considered, it's probably not the worst one he could have made. I mean honestly, who of us at the age of 21 (or any age, for that matter) would turn down multiple millions of dollars to play a game you love? I'm sure I wouldn't. So, even though I wish he'd stay, it's not a terrible choice. Best of luck in the League, Jamaal, we'll probably miss you.
-Twig

2 comments:

Justin said...

I agree with the "glass half-empty" sentiment on Charles's career, but hopefully he is making this decision based on a reputable source within the NFL giving him a favorable draft prediction.

It's always easy as a fan to wish that talented players would stick around for a full 4 years, but I'm not so daft to think that I wouldn't take a potential multi-million dollar payday if it were laid in front of me.

Godspeed Jamaal.

Austin said...

I guess I'll remember Charles most for his 80 yd run against OU his freshman year, but he's had a heck of second half of this year.

I think he has nothing to gain by coming back next year. He's not going to all of a sudden gain 20 lbs and become a more durable every down NFL back. In 38 career games he had more than 20 carries a mere 6 times.

I see him as probably a 2nd round choice. I haven't seen any projections on him yet so that could be well off. I think he could be a Maurice Jones-Drew type who would work well with an established feature back.