Thursday, January 10, 2008

Playoff Fever, Catch It!

Here at JigAndTwig, on the Thursday before Divisional Round weekend in the NFL, I like to make my picks for the weekend's games. You may be thinking to yourself, "Twig, I've never seen your NFL Divisional Round picks before, whatsoever do you mean?" Well fool, this blog has been up for like a month, so obviously this is the first- of hopefully many-Divisional Playoff Picks, the DPP if you will. Also, I'd love to include the point spread and if I'd take the points or whatnot, but for those of you who know me know that I'm a terrible gambler, so I'm not gonna touch that; just giving my thougths and who I think will win. On we go...

Saturday:
Seattle at Green Bay: Apparently, both games on Saturday will be in decent weather which is somewhat of a surprise considering that they're in Wisconsin and Massachusetts in January. I don't know if that'll play to anyones advantage in this game. Both teams throw the ball well, so I'd assume they're each thrilled about clear skies. I give the nod to GB, however, because of the emergence of Ryan Grant, who, in the last ten weeks is the NFL's second leading rusher (thank you Mike and Mike in the Morning) and the fact that Shaun Alexander may or may not have retired after his 2005 MVP season. If anyone's seen him, tell him to call Mike Holmgren, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Jacksonville at New England: Ever since the Jags beat Pittsburg at Heinz field in December, all the "experts" have been touting them as the last gasp team that could maybe, possibly beat the Patriots. I admit, I was one of those that thought they could do it, and honestly, the could. Key word here being could. However, the Pats are home, they've had a week off, the Jags are playing with key defensive injuries, and well, would you take Jack Del Rio and Dave Garrard on the road against Billichek (sp?) and Brady? Me neither, although I'll be cheering hard for the Jaguars to pull it off.

Sunday:
San Diego at Indianapolis: I've gotta say, after watching the Chargers defense last week, I was impressed. Granted, they were at home playing a very young team that had precious little playoff experience, but they were flying around out there. All that to say, Indy at home, a week off, Gates is hurt, you know the drill. Colts, but it's close.

New York at Dallas: I was pretty frustrated when I heard about Romo's Mexico vacation in the midst of a playoff push until I found out that Witten went along with him. I don't know if that means anything, for all I know Jason hosted cabana parties until 4am and forced Romo to take tequila shots from an empty coconut shell, but just knowing that Witten was there seemed to make things better, sorta like there was a chaperone making sure Tony didn't get his mind off football too much. As a personal bonus, I like this trip becuase Romo and Witten undoubtedly bonded South of the border, and since Witten is in my Gridiron Football Challenge-which is fantasy football for the playoffs-I expect Romo to look his way often on Sunday. And really I'm not too worried about the vacation affecting either of their performances this weekend. If anything, the fact that two Cowboy assisants interviewed for other jobs over the break worries me more than a beach trip with some pals. Anyway, I expect a good game, it's gonna be hard for Dallas to beat the Giants three times in the same season, but in the end I see the Cowboys pulling it out.

I know you're probably not impressed with me choosing the top two seeds from each conference to advance, but hey, it's what I expect to happen. We've known pretty much all year that the four best teams in the NFL are the Pats, Colts, Cowboys, and Packers. I'm already looking forward to next weekend.

-Twigaman

6 comments:

Jig said...

Twiggy, its hard to disagree with most of your picks. Just want you to know, I definatly am going to start Ryan Grant in this weekends Playoff Gridiron Challenge. I really don't have any reason to pick the Jags, except for my gut. I feel it. It's bubbling. I also ate a gravy sandwich last night so there's a good chance that's the problem. All that to say, the Jags are going to win. I can't say much more seeing how I also need to make a post in the next 24-36 hours. Your Boy. jiggersleuth

Justin said...

Tequila shots? From a coconut shell?

Good Sir, you must know that as a graduate of that fine university in Knoxville, Tennessee, Mr. Witten only drinks the finest moonshine brewed in the hills and hollers of the Volunteer State.

Also, I agree with all the picks except for the Jags-Pats game. The NFL is making a large show of outwardly hating the Pats to drum up attention, but Goodell & Co. know that people will continue tuning in just to see the Pats play each week.

If David Garrard mysteriously "suffers" an injury to his leg in the 3rd quarter and leaves the game to the Artist known as Quinn Gray, don't look at me like I'm crazy.

Brandon Maenius said...

Your Twigness, I still propose that if Brett Favre come back next year that we go see a Packer's Home game in December, just an idea. Take it or leave it.

lance said...

Beebs-
Consider your idea taken.

Mayor Girod said...

well master of the twig your nfl playoff forecast was jolly respectable. Except you cursed our Cowboys and P. Manning just lost 10 million in sponsorship opportunities because of your rotten jinx. I digress though...

I already packed up the marshmallow cannon for camping. Lets just say its gotta enough poof to spruce the moose.

Justin said...

According to Jig's "Levels of Losing" post, tonight's loss was without a doubt a "de-leveler". Frankly, I'm not even ready to talk about it right now.

If you need me, I'll be out standing on a bridge over the Brazons, thinking seriously about jumping.

Oh, another thing: F*&% you, Eli Manning. Okay, I feel better now.