Monday, October 13, 2008

We're Number One?


Obviously, I'm thrilled with the results of Saturday's Red River Rivalry, even though the Cowboys did their part to dampen my spirits yesterday. The game was exciting, and each team played well, which is different from most of the RRR's from this decade.
There is one thing that I just can't seem to wrap my mind around, and it's really thrown me for a loop. Texas is ranked number one? In the country? In football? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with how they've played, and beating your rival, who just happend to be number one at the time, is always cause for celebration. However, coming into this season, I had no expectations for this team. The young defense, the new coaches, inexperienced skill players, and zero running game had me, and many other Longhorn fans looking forward to 2009 as the year that things came together and they made a run at the title. I'm still not sure that they will win any title, but the fact that they're where they are right now quite honestly blows my mind.

This is the first time UT has been ranked number one in the regular season since I was mere months old, so needless to say, I don't really know how to react. Granted, when three of the four teams in front of Texas lost on Saturday, they sorta had to jump to the top, especially since the other team-Alabama-was idle. So call it what you want: A fluke, a top ranking by default, or whatever, the fact remains-I have NO idea what will happen the rest of the season, but I'm tickled to death that the rest of the season matters for the 2008 Texas Longhorns.

Now the challenge poses itself for the Horns-how do you perform when you're supposed to win? Remember, coming into this season, no one was really talking about them as a serious conference or national championship contender. I think they used some of that 'disrespect' as fuel to go out and show the nation that they are a legit team that must be taken seriously. Now that they have a big victory and people are starting to pay attention, how will they respond? If they are like any of the 2000-2003 Texas Lonhorns, they will lose at least one big game this year that may cost them a championship, bowl positioning, etc, and be labled as soft and overrated. However, if they keep the "everybody doubts us" mentality, they may go on to great things and make this an extremely memorable year. You know what my hopes are for them, I just know that I won't ever make another prediction about this team again. Hook 'Em.

No comments: