Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I've Got A Notion To Say What Doesn't Feel Right

I have a problem. On the top of my computer screen is a link to Amazon. I love going there and reading reviews of books I've heard about and inevitably coming across a new one that I haven't. This isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but every now and then, I compulsively buy 4-5 books at a time that I just 'have to have.' I always read them, but by the time I'm finished with one group, another is ready to be bought. Anyway, the last group of books I purchased included Jesus Wants to Save Christians, Jesus for President, Dixieland Delight (about a season following SEC football), and Fields of Fire (about Vietnam). That's right, two books about religion, one about war and one about football. I am officially a walking cliche of a Southern male. Thank you.

I started Jesus for President this afternoon, and the first few pages hit me. Here's an excerpt:

You grew up in a good family;
hardworking dad and a mom who
was there when you needed her.

They taught you and your little
brother to share and showed you
how to pray every night before bed.

In Sunday school, you learned about
Jesus and sang all the songs with
the rest of the kids.

There was Noah and his ark, Moses
and the Ten Commandments, and little
baby Jesus asleep on the hay.

You learned about the blessing
that was America and were grateful
to live in a country led by good
Christian leaders.

With a hand over your heart or above
your brow, you pledged allegiance to

God and Country,

for the Lord was at work
in this holy nation.

But lately you are beginning to wonder
if this is really how God intended things
to be.

And you question if God is really working
though places of power.

Maybe, you wonder, God had a totally
different idea in mind...

Jesus for President:Politics for Ordinary Radicals, by Shane Claiborne and Chris Haw

Hmmm...Agan, prepared to be stretched.

1 comment:

Reid said...

good luck buddy. that claiborne guy doesn't mess around, from what i've heard. hope he has some truth to speak!