Monday, May 5, 2008

He Smiles Like a Gentleman, That You Remember When You Were Young

Thank the Killers for the lyrics in today's title. I'm not apt to having a 'Song of the Day' contest, as Justin Scott is over at Running Down a Dream, but it's fitting for today's link of the day...




After stints with 8 MLB teams covering 26 seasons, Julio Franco has called it quits. I remember watching him during his time with the Rangers back in the early 90's and imitating his trademark, 'end-of-the-bat-facing-the-pitcher' stance many times in the backyard with neighborhood friends. It's crazy to think about it now, but he had already been in the league for more than ten years for most of his time in Arlington!
Anyway, this season is the first that will go by in my lifetime without Julio Franco in a Major League lineup and I'll be honest, I don't know if I'm emotionally ready to handle it.


R(etire)IP Julio, you old fart.


-Twig

1 comment:

Austin said...

I've said it before, but it's shocking to me that Jules was born a mere month and a half after my dad. I just can't imagine my dad playing ball at his age. Some Julio Franco fun facts:

Most HR off a pitcher: 3 against 5 different pitchers (one is Oil Can Boyd)

Only 5 multi-HR games...all of which he only had 2 HRs in.

Worst Game: probably 5/12/93 as a Ranger against Oakland...0-5 with 4 Strikeouts

First HR: 4/9/83 off of Baltimore's Tippy Martinez, a month and 8 days before my birth...his next HR was on 4/30/83 and was an inside the parker (his only for his career)

Last HR: 5/4/07 off of Randy Johnson (not a bad way to go out), his 173rd of his career

That's enough, I could do this for days. So long Jules, you'll be missed.