Sunday, March 22, 2009

Maddening March


Thoughts and observations while watching my bracket go down the toilet this weekend:

I saw JD McCoy's dad on another TV show the other night. I forgot what the show was, but he was a normal character. By normal, I mean being a guy who keeps himself from berating and controlling every move in his son's life, undermining a state-championship winning football coach, not working, and generally being a pompous you-know-what. Even still, the second I saw him, I had a bad feeling. Now I know how JScott feels every time he sees Joaquin Phoenix after his role in Gladiator. While I thought Scott was talking crazy at the time, given Phoenix's recent behavior, he seems somewhat prophetic.
Like anyone with a pulse who isn't a Buckeye, I loved the ending of the Ohio State/Siena game. However, how does Bill Raftery get away with saying things like "A double order of onions! Garden variety!" after Ronald Moore drilled two three-pointers to win the game?? Is it because he's old so we assume he doesn't know better, or it's March Madness, so everyone is excused to go a little 'out of bounds' with commentary? Again, loved the game, loved the call, but how is the FCC not breaking onions trying to get suspensions or apologies from Raftery and/or CBS?

Speaking of crazy announcers, how crazy would it be if Raftery and Gus Johnson called the Siena/OSU or Gonzaga/WKU game together? Yowzah, I truly think TV sets would explode.

As I type, the Okie State Cowboys just lost to one of my Final Four picks, Pittsburgh. This officially ends any ties I have with college athletes I played against. The first game of my senior year, we played (and beat) Round Rock McNeil, featuring a sharp-shooting freshman, AJ Abrams. The last game of that same year, we lost in the regional quarters to Beaumont Ozen, featuring future NBA champion Kendrick Perkins and a freshman point guard, Byron Eaton. I've made reference before to feeling old, so I won't drown everyone in self-pity, but I guess this is another step into the adult world and away from "Hey, I know that guy! Played against him back in Oh-Two."

That'll do it for now, keep watching FNL and March Madness.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Two Things:

1. I AM the prophet. As of tomorrow, my middle name will legally be changed from "Thomas" to something ending in "--siah" to to sound even more prophetic.

2. Didn't Eaton go to Dallas Lincoln with Bosh/Bryan Hopkins? Perhaps you're remembering the fact that he played against Perkins/Ozen in that '02 4A State Title game.

lance said...

Yep, in fact he did. In my hast to cling to the glory days, I inadvertently made up a story that was in fact, false. Now I know how that James Frey fella feels.

Oprah, here I come.