Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pick 'Em

In yesterday's BS Report, JAT favorite Bill Simmons and "My Buddy House" discussed, among other things, what college they would hypothetically attend from each of the BCS conferences, if they were once again 18 with the world at their fingertips. Simmons has hinted in the past that, if he ever leaves Los Angeles, Austin, TX would be on his short list of possible destinations, so it wasn't completely surprising when he chose UT as his Big XII University of Choice. Nevertheless, it cemented The Sports Guy as my favorite sports writer of the new century (I used to not read, so no one gets a vote for the 20th century).
Anyway, it got me thinking: If I could go back in time, and could chose one school to 'attend' from each BCS conference, what would they be? Glad you asked. Since I'm sure you're dying to know what I would do in a completely hypothetical world, here are my choices, minus the Big XII, because if you don't know the answer to that by now, you'll never know. And yes, I realize that I currently attend a(nother) Big XII school. Get over it.

ACC: North Carolina. Florida State's intriguing, but getting the chance to see 10-15 games a year at the Dean Dome and boo the Dookies annually is too great an opportunity to pass up.

Big Ten: Wisconsin. I've never been to the state of 'Sconsin, but it seems like a pretty decent place to live. Plus, the Jump Around tradition before the fourth quarter of games at Camp Randall is, quite simply, awesome. Also, every year at homecoming, I would have the chance to find Ron Dayne and punch him in the nose for passing Ricky Williams' rushing record.

Pac-10: Arizona. The first non-Cowboys Sports Illustrated my dad bought me was in 1994, with the Cats' Desert Swarm Defense on the cover. It was the college football preview issue, and had a picture of a young Teddi Bruschi driving a moped around campus in it. Not a bad way to get from class to class. Honorable mention to Oregon, AzState, UCLA, UDub and USC.

Big East: Hmm. Great basketball conference, but most of the schools are waaaayyy up north, where'd I'd probably be miserable. USF? Maybe, but they began using Texas' Hook em sign (they're the Bulls) and that rubs me the wrong way a little. I think I'm going with Louisville on this one. Not crazy about the pick, but they're a good basketball school and can be great at football in that conference. And it's in the South.

SEC: I can only pick one? Really, this is the most difficult one for me, with the Pac-10 running a close second. Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Kentucky are all intriguing, but as a student, I have always been drawn to Ole Miss. After reading Rammer Jammer Yellowhammer, and learning about the Grove and the atmosphere of the school, I doubt there's a cooler place to spend years 18-22 of your life than Oxford, Miss. Except Abilene, TX, of course.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Here are my picks:

ACC: In a close battle between Duke, UNC, and Virginia, I'm going with UVA, in honor of Connor Parker.

Big East: With a gun to my head, I'm picking Louisville as well. That's really a lackluster list of schools.

Big Ten: Even though the sports program sucks at Northwestern, I'm picking it for two reasons: 1. It's located in Chicago. 2. Lots of good writers from Northwestern. That should make for interesting campus atmosphere.

Pac-10: I'm a huge fan of the San Francisco Bay Area, so the battle between Cal and Stanford is a close one, but I'm picking Stanford. That one's for you, Mark Madsen.

SEC: Hmmmmmmmm, let's look at the contenders: Bama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Vandy. I think I'm going with Ole Miss as well. It's good we didn't go to an SEC school, though. The Grove might have been too much to handle.

lance said...

Good choices. I like N'Western as well. Maybe you would run into Wilbon or Adande at homecoming, who knows.

And yeah, while it would have been fun to try, the Grove may have been too intense for our liking. If a tree can be killed from alcohol poisioning, who knows what toll it would take on us?