Monday, December 17, 2007

Dressed for Success Follow-up

Let's get down to biznizz...the top five college football uniforms (according to me)

5) ACU Wildcats: Am I a homer for putting them in the top five? Maybe, but again, it's my list, tough biscuts. Regardless, I'm a big fan of the purple-on-black theme (and yes, i also like TCU's unis). Now if we could only figure out how to protect a 29 point lead in the fourth quarter...

"I look a lot cooler than I did at Tulane."


5b) Hawaii Warriors: I couldn't decide who to take off if i included the fighting Brennan's, so what the hey, I'll make my top ten a top eleven. No matter if it's the home blacks or the road silver and white, the Warriors look sharp, especially with the tribal lei thingy on the thigh.

"I can't wait to go pro, these Samoan's be drivin me craaazzzy."

4) Florida State Seminoles: Their performance may have dropped a bit since making three straight bcs championship games from 1998-2000, but at least they look good doing it.

"OOOOOOOOOO-OOO-OOOO-OOOOOOOO. OOOOOOOOO-OOOOO-OOOOOOO."


3) LSU Tigers: Great team, great fans, great home field, great unis. I'm really a fan of how unique the color scheme is. Quick, name another D-1 team that rocks the yellow and purple. Tick, tock...can't do it? Me either, and although I'm sure there are some out there, when you see purple and yellow, you know the Bayou Bengals are in town. Plus extra bonus points for wearing white at home.

"Dat N'awlins home cooken gun doo ussum good inde foosebawl game Sadduday."


2) Michigan Wolverines: The helmet alone is enough to merit consideration for the list. Not sure if Michigan was the first to wear the design-Princeton began using it in 1998, Southwest Baptist began it in 2002, and Delaware began in 1958-but since 1938, the maize-and-blue has been a staple of football uniforms.



"Hail to the Victors" Indeed. Unless it's Twig's list. Or a home game against the 1-AA champs.



1) Texas Longhorns: I mean, come on...

"'Till Gab-riel blows his hoooorrrrrrrnnnnn!!!"


*Also receiving votes: Florida, Georgia, UCLA, Washington, Iowa, Kentucky.

Well that's that folks. Hope you enjoyed, feel free to wheigh in with any opinions, you probably won't hurt my feelings too much.

One Love,
Twig

6 comments:

Austin said...

I've got to say that I'm a bit disappointed in your top 5 (or 6). While I'm obviously not surprised by #1, in your heart of hearts you can't honestly believe that UT has the nation's best unis. Now don't get me wrong, they're solid, but in compiling my own list they were right on the cusp of the top 10. My beef with UT and other schools like OU and ATM is their insistence on putting their school name or mascot across their chest like a high school squad. I've always disliked unis that broke this simple rule and that prohibits many teams from making my list.

Also, ACU's black and purple does not look good at all. As a Lucas fan you should know that purple is a no go. I'm not as anti-purple as he is (for instance I like it paired with yellow, like LSU, or with silver, like K-State) but ACU's purple and black looks awful.

I also don't like Hawaii or FSU's unis all that much, but I'm not as opposed to those.

You're right about someone else using the winged helmets first. In fact it was Princeton, who's coach brought it to Mich. You can see the story here:
http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/helmet/mhelmet.htm

Overall, I feel like you did a really solid job. Here's my quick top 10 with short annotations:

10. BYU: After their recent redesign, these are some of the classiest unis around.

9. Georgia: Glad to see you recognize them. Silver, red and black a great combo.

8. Army: A surprise pick. Seriously, check them out they're great. I really like the squad patches.

7. Alabama: I like the numbered helmets.

6. LSU: Agreed that they look great. Although Eastern Carolina also sports the yellow and purple. I almost wish they would break out the purple jerseys more often I actually think they look really good.

5. Penn State: We've already discussed their greatness.

4. Michigan: Greatness.

3. Ohio State: Really surprised you left them out of your top 10.

2. USC: They're cocky, but look good.

1. Notre Dame: I don't like the school, but the uniform is classic. They should ban the green jersey though.

That's it, that's the list.

lance said...

austin-
I know I am quite biased, but yeah, I absolutely do love UT's unis-both home and road. I agree that the name on the front is maybe unnecessary, but hey, what can you do? (You probably remember, but for the opening game of the 2005 season, they wore throwbacks with nothing on the front and no names on the back-now THAT looked cool) Also, for my money, the helmets are absolutely the best. White helmet/no strips, white facemask, and the longhorn silhouette. Can't go wrong there. I also disagree with the purple/ACU thing. I'm not crazy about purple either, but i do think the black makes it bearable. Teams like the Vikings, for example, don't look good in my opinion. The purple with white just doesn't cut it for me. Anyway, sometime in the future i'll do an un-top ten for college football unis and we'll see what happens there.

lance said...

Also, I do agree with the Army choice. Black and Gold is always a winner in my book. Unless you're Colorado, as you'll see in my future uni post.

Austin said...

TOTALLY agree about the UT throwbacks from '05. Those were awesome. I really loved the uni number above the horns.

Justin said...

Lance,

I have to agree with Mr. Henley on the ACU addition. You know that I love our alma mater as much as anyone, but the purple/black combo is a bit much for me.

As you can probably tell from my other favorites, I'm a fan of the classic, understated uni and something about the purple/black combination screams "we're trying to be hip".

Also, the Hawai'i tribal band/lei around the left leg is one of those little things that drives me crazy. Another member of that category is the fact that the Steelers only have the logo on one side of their helmets, but I digress.

Good call on Michigan at #2. I won't do a top 10, but my top 5 would look something like this:

5. Ohio St.: I hate the Buckeyes, but the silver, red, and white look great along with classic helmets.

4. Penn St.: The beauty here is in the simplicity and the stubborn resistance to change in the Under Armour/Oregon Ducks uniform debauchery era.

3. U.S.C.: See my feelings about #5 in terms of team hatred, but the red/gold combo along with the Trojan logo on the helmet has stood the test of time.

2. Michigan: The Princeton Tigers may have been the first squad with the winged-helmet, but if you were to describe the helmet to someone, they would immediately know you were talking about the Wolverines. Blue and gold is also a classic color combo, which is why my number one team is...

1. Notre Dame: Since my Dad is from Indiana, I'm a bit partial to the Irish, and the simplicity of the gold, unadorned helmets, navy jerseys, and gold pants along with a single-tier stadium and unmarked endzones just screams college football.

lance said...

Gents-
Thanks for the imput on unis. For my money, they're one of the small things that make college football so unique and special. I'm particulaly happy that we can all at least agree that ND, PSU, Bama, Michigan, and USC belong among the great, classic looks of NCAA football.
Hopefully we can still be friends even with my blatant homerism and bias with the ACU and UT picks, and I pray that a non-BCS team like Hawaii won't be the undoing of so many great memories we've shared in the past.
Looking forward to ruffling a few more feathers in the near future with my ten (or so) least favs.

Santa Claus is-a coming,
lance