Monday, December 17, 2007

Dressed for Success

One of the things that I really enjoy about watching sports is the uniforms. It's something that most of y'all may not know about me, but ever since I can remember, I've been a big fan of all the colors, and styles, as well as pay attention to the smallest details; for instance, I can even tell you the facemask styles and chinstrap types of most any player I've watched. Freakish, yeah. Unsettling, i know. But still, it's how God made me. NE Wayz, I figured I'd share this little obsession with you, the reading public. This list is completely my own, biased opinion of what I think are the ten coolest uniforms in college football. There is little criteria for making this covetted list, other than me thinking, "Hmm, those unis look pretty sweet," so if you don't agree with me, sorry, make your own list. Also, bonus points are given to old-school, unchanged-through-the-years uniforms. One more thing: this is technically a list of nine teams, because if you don't know who I'm putting number one, we don't know each other very well then, do we?

Without further adieu...

10) USC Trojans: I know, I know. I don't like them either, but let's be honest, they've got some of the classic unis in college football. Besides a facemask change (from maroon to gray) and a new sleeve-strip, not much has changed for the men of Troy. On the other hand, as someone once told me, "If Abercromie made football uniforms, they'd look like USC." 'Bout sums it up.
"Moo-nies, moo-nies, moo-nies, moo-nies!!"

9) Notre Dame Fighting Irish: My least favorite team probably in all the land (ya know, after 0-u and atm) but you've gotta admit-nothing on the front, nothing on the back, glistening gold helmet. Classic.

8) Penn State Nittany Lions: See above.



7) Auburn War Eagle Tigers: Also known as the 'Austin Henley Special.' Don't really know what it is, but the navy and orange just look nice. Plus, it's always a good decision to wear all white on the road.

"Bo knows we look good."

6) Alabama Crimson Tide: It isn't easy to make maroon/crimson look decent, but the Tide pull it off in a nice, clean, classic way. The numbers on the helmet are a great touch, these babies never go out of style. And yes, I realize I just put Alabama and Auburn in the same list. Sue me.

"At least we can beat Auburn in the uniform war."
Well that'll do it for now, I'll be back tomorrow with numbers 5 through 2. Peace and love.
Twiggaman

5 comments:

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin said...

Is Clemson's all-orange kit #116 which would closely be followed by anything worn by the Oregon Ducks at #117?

Austin said...

Wow Lance. If you ever had a glance at my former blog then you would know my undying love for all things uni. This list has quite a bit of potential.

I can't say that I disagree with any of the picks thus far except one, and that's my beloved Auburn Tigers. While I appreciate you touting their very simple, yet somehow sharp, look I don't think they're top 10 material. Otherwise USC, PSU, ND, and Bama are solid picks.

Also, USC's facemasks were traditionally gray, except for 1988-2000 when they were maroon. You can see those changes at the Helmet Project which is here:
http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

I've spent many an hour at that site since discovering it in college. Furthermore, you should be adding the UniWatch Blog to your bookmarks or RSS reader immediately:
http://www.uniwatchblog.com/

It's by the guy who does UniWatch for ESPN's Page 2 and has fresh uni details daily.

I'm excited to see the rest of the list and might even come up with my own. Actually, I'd like to see a ranking of the major college teams. You could do it within each conference or something. Keep up the good stuff...and great "moo-nies" chant caption, sums it up perfectly.

lance said...

Justin-Don't worry, I'm gonna do a Bottom 5 or 10 later on, and rest assured, those two will be on it.

Austin-I did see your baseball uniform list a while back, great job with that. I'm also a big fan of Paul Lukas, I read all his stuff, dudes my hero.

Justin said...

The subject of the Penn St. uniforms has almost become a personal litmus test for me. If the Nittany Lions are on TV, I will subtly bring up the subject of their unis to whomever I am watching the game with, and if they use words
like "boring", "old", or "plain", I know that person and I can never truly be great friends. C

Call it harsh, call it draconian, but don't ever call JoePa "boring".